[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 130: preg_replace(): Compilation failed: unrecognized character after (?< at offset 49
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 130: preg_replace(): Compilation failed: unrecognized character after (?< at offset 49
SNW Forum • How to showcase your creations here
Just old stuff we’re not ready to get rid of!

How to showcase your creations here

SNW Webmiss
14293 Posts
Last edited by Rosana on Aug 17, 2011 2:06am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added a little explanation about the 256x256 images used

Servo's Slave
100 Posts
That sounds really cool! I'm gonna try this immediately! :D

Crumplebottom's New Obsession
2748 Posts

SNW Webmiss
14293 Posts
Thanks guys! I hope it's working for you. Just trying to make the forum experience a little better :D

Team Llama
410 Posts
SNW Webmiss
14293 Posts
I understand the things you are saying and I have forgotten to add that one needs the 256x256 image. But besides the fact that I have forgotten to explain that part...

I have explained that one needs an image url, not the complete page url:
For now, it works if you just enter the plain image url

I had the intention in the beginning to just make a tag in which you could use the ID, the number of each creature/item one has made. But that doesn't work properly, because they are stored on different servers.

A small example of what I mean... ChEeTaH has added his Galfrek series on our forums yesterday. Look at two of the images:
item 1: http://ll-975.ea.com/spore/static/image ... 44_lrg.png
item 2: http://ll-935.ea.com/spore/static/image ... 36_lrg.png

See how number 1 is located on server ll-975 and the other one is located on ll-935? Those are not the only servers being used. So that would not be the best option. It would make things even harder for me. And to make myself very clear, I don't have a lot of time. I'm happy to work on the Spore site(s) but in reality, I don't even have time for that right now, as I should be working on websites from clients, to make money to pay our bills. This site doesn't pay me one bit (I'm fine with that - but that's the reality here).

Creating a script to load an entire page and filtering out the items I would need, would take an immensely amount of time. And even if I would get that done, I would still have to spend all my time implementing a script on the forums.

That's not going to happen. I've got a site to finish and another one (Sporepedia) which I still have to design and develop. And to be honest, right now I don't have any idea how to get that done with the things I still have to do. I figured this would be the best option right now. If people don't like the idea or think it's poor, I can relate to that. But I can't do any better. This is the best you'll get.

I know you mean well. It's just that I don't understand how you seem to think that this is so easy that I could squeeze it in easily in between every task and site I have to look after (since you know I'm extremely busy). I don't see myself creating scripts for a simple tag on the forums. I know it's very buggy as it is right now, but that's something I can't help.

Servo's Slave
100 Posts
Aww Rosana, it's not buggy, in fact it works really well and I think no forum has this yet.

I do think that there needs to be a simple showcase tutorial for those who aren't as familiar with tags and such as most of us are. You already explained something in your first post. Only very little needs to be done to complete it so that newbies will get it. Maybe i can help here?

Don't feel bad, you're doing well!

SNW Webmiss
14293 Posts
Resie wrote:Only very little needs to be done to complete it so that newbies will get it. Maybe i can help here?

Maybe that's a good idea. I had the idea myself that my explanation was written well enough for everyone to understand, but maybe I'm overlooking things easily because, well, I already know how to apply the codes.

I now have added the part about the 256x256 images. I'm hoping that will make it more clear to the newbies...

Team Llama
410 Posts
sorry for making you feel bad :( that was not my intention :( but I understand you know I meant it positive :)

and hey i'm proud you guys know so much about tags, for or forum add dms2c I really want a youtube tag, but i'm affraid if i'm going to play around in php which i do not understand I only going to %#^@ up the forum, so i'll keep it with links :)

SNW Webmiss
14293 Posts
dekdes wrote:sorry for making you feel bad :( that was not my intention :( but I understand you know I meant it positive :)

and hey i'm proud you guys know so much about tags, for or forum add dms2c I really want a youtube tag, but i'm affraid if i'm going to play around in php which i do not understand I only going to %#^@ up the forum, so i'll keep it with links :)

I know you mean well, and I know you only want to help out, give ideas and think along. But I can't really improve the tag as it is...

Adding the clear tag for example was inevitable in this case, because I'm using <div> (html) codes for the creature tag. However <div> tags will make sure everything starts on a new row :confused: , so I could not place two of these creature tags besides each other, unless I would make them float. I had them floating. But with floating, the text used after using a creature tag would float as well :yuck: , making everything looked messed up. To fix this, I had to add a clear tag, which would quite literally clear the floating.

I do believe our forum has a Flash tag, however I should still test and try that out as I haven't really done that yet :blush: . We should be able to embed Flash things...

Team Llama
410 Posts
the small machines and perhaps phpbb Mod for youtube tag does actually just replace the flash with the youtube thing ;)

Servo's Slave
100 Posts
Maybe it's an idea to auto-add the clear tags? :)

SNW Webmiss
14293 Posts
Resie wrote:Maybe it's an idea to auto-add the clear tags? :)

Well the forum software won't really put up with that. I also tried to make a clear tag that had only

Code: Select all
[clear]

but it ended up saying I had to close the tag like

Code: Select all
[clear][/clear]

I can't automatically add the clear tag simply because the forum software won't accept that.
I haven't added the clear tag to the list of bbcodes people can click. I can add this of course, but people wouldn't know what this is for, except for when they read this particular topic. :(

I can't put this (the clear code) directly into the code either after each creature tag, because that would mean that every new image automatically starts on a new row/line. That would remove the whole floating idea I added to make sure you could place two of them next to each other...

Servo's Slave
100 Posts
OK, don't take apart the whole forum with your scroodriver to do this, it's very good as it is already :)

Remind me to write this tut this week if I forget.

Right now, I am playing space stage.... all empires must bow to the almighty Skypli God, muhahah! :lmao:

SNW Webmiss
14293 Posts
Resie wrote:OK, don't take apart the whole forum with your scroodriver to do this, it's very good as it is already :)

Remind me to write this tut this week if I forget.

Right now, I am playing space stage.... all empires must bow to the almighty Skypli God, muhahah! :lmao:

I know that feeling. I had the intention to work on the site some more this weekend. But that's pretty much my problem at the same time. If I don't have any weekend, I get a burn out pretty soon, and I can't really have that right now. So ChEeTaH told me to play Spore (and kept on saying I should until I actually did :p)

• Stats