Just old stuff we’re not ready to get rid of!

How the franchise died...

Team Llama
299 Posts

I really do hate that game :( It was the biggest waste of money this year for me. Seriously. :angry:

Anyone else managed to give it a try?

SNW Webmiss
14293 Posts
ChEeTaH did, I haven't installed it on my own PC. It isn't like the old SimCity's at all. I know there are people out there who love it. And I still want it for my collection. But I doubt I'll play with it a lot. Doesn't seem like the SimCity I want to play. It looks nice, but I don't know. I can't explain myself properly.

Team Llama
299 Posts
Meh. It works as a game. It is kinda fun. But it ain't a sim city game. Was a big disappointment in that respect. I think that seems to be everyones line, it is a good game, but not a sim city game. Quite literally not a Maxis game... What were they thinking? Should've been released under a different name/franchise to preserve the sim cities for a later date.

SNW Webmiss
14293 Posts
I do agree on that. It's not Maxis at all. And you can sure see and feel that in the game. Or not, actually.

Team Llama
299 Posts
What was it, Tilted Mill Entertainment or something. Never really heard of them before to be honest... Know anything else they've done?

SNW Webmiss
14293 Posts
Hexer wrote:Know anything else they've done?

Yeah, they've done some other games as well (and most people who said something about it weren't happy about it at all)
Caesar IV is one of them.

Team Llama
410 Posts
We can be short on that, we had a version we tried, did not like it.

Its because of the software house "Tainted mill" , they also ruined Ceasar 4...

Keep maxis games at maxis, keep ea games at EA, i'm also not going to ask a dentist for a haircut :nod3:

SNW Webmiss
14293 Posts
dekdes wrote:Keep maxis games at maxis, keep ea games at EA, i'm also not going to ask a dentist for a haircut :nod3:

I couldn't agree more. You can definitely tell when a Maxis game has left the Maxis studios!

Team Llama
299 Posts
Maxis under EA just has such a spark. Its just some unique flare they add to everything they touch... and it leads to gold :P BIG CASH :)

I think its one of the things EA has done well with. Looking at their past EA have dragged down a lot of franchises... Maxis' Sims and Cities (-societies) has flurished. Maybe it is due to Will Wright's influence over things. I don't know. One thing for sure: They're doing well.

Seems EA is reversing their trends too. They seem to have successfully revived the Command and Conquer franchise, after they killed it with Generals. Maybe we'll see the same happen with Sim City at a later date.

SNW Webmiss
14293 Posts
Hexer wrote:Maybe we'll see the same happen with Sim City at a later date.

I hope so too!
Maxis is a great studio, always has been. Will Wright could be a big reason why some Maxis products were once awesome but now just so-so. I mean, Will Wright with Simcity, awesome games. Will Wright with The Sims, awesome franchise (at least the greater part of it). Will Wright with Spore, awesome game, just wicked. Let's hope Spore doesn't turn into Sims when it comes to quality :(

Team Llama
408 Posts
The new CEO (John Riccitillio or whatever his name is) indeed seems to realise EA killed many franchises/studios (think Westwood, Bullfrog) in the past bunch of years - putting out products sooner rather than spending a bit extra time of a quality product. Changes seem to be ahead, with stuff like Spore getting the time it needs, I believe FIFA or NFS (not sure which one anymore) taking a completely different approach in developing the game. Let's hope it's not yet too late for SimCity, otherwise we'll just have to stick to SC4 - the best version of them all!
Webmaster The Sims Zone - Webmaster The Spore Zone - Blokjeseliminator - SNWeblogs!

Team Llama
299 Posts
ChEeTaH wrote:The new CEO (John Riccitillio or whatever his name is) indeed seems to realise EA killed many franchises/studios (think Westwood, Bullfrog) in the past bunch of years - putting out products sooner rather than spending a bit extra time of a quality product. Changes seem to be ahead, with stuff like Spore getting the time it needs...

That would explain it then :)

I think a lot of the franchises are feeling the love now. Especially Command and conquer. Feeling good right now. Nice to see them go back to the routes!

SNW Webmiss
14293 Posts
Hexer wrote:Nice to see them go back to the routes!

They should also take a bit more care of the whole Sims department though :(

Team Llama
299 Posts
ChEeTaH wrote:The new CEO (John Riccitillio or whatever his name is) indeed seems to realise EA killed many franchises/studios (think Westwood, Bullfrog) in the past bunch of years - putting out products sooner rather than spending a bit extra time of a quality product. Changes seem to be ahead, with stuff like Spore getting the time it needs

I just found this on their "WE WANNA BUY TAKE 2" website. Its written by Riccitillio himself. Kinda explains their new model as you were saying :)

I like to think that we learn from our experience. When I came back to EA last year, we introduced a new organization model that respects creative cultures and gives developers more freedom. We call it the "Label" model because it treats each of EA's four labels as a sovereign entity responsible for its own creative decisions and business results. We expect each team to operate on a profit plan and, in exchange, we provide investment, infrastructure and a lot of creative freedom.

Has it worked at EA? It's too early to say for sure, but the initial feedback is encouraging. Many of the people at Digital Illusions in Stockholm, Criterion in the UK, Mythic in Virginia, and more recently BioWare and Pandemic will tell you that so far, the experience at EA has been good. If you know people who work for these studios, I'd encourage you to talk to them. Ask them about our Label organization model. It's the model we hope to use with Take-Two.

Servo's Slave
100 Posts
Simcity Societies.... isn't that that ridiculous game with the automatically themed cities (clown theme etc.), that wasn't even created by Maxis?

• Stats