How will you create the universe?

The Epic tutorial (possible minor SPOILER warning)

Servo's Slave
100 Posts
In my quest to kill an epic, i found out a little something about their habits, their strengths and weaknesses. Part of it I found on the internet, part of it I found out on my own. In this topic I will share with you what I know.

Epic? What's an epic?
You can meet in your game an epic version of any creature: your own, Maxis', your buddy's, or even a creature made by somebody you don't know.
Now here's how you know whether you're looking at an epic:
An epic creature is a creature of extremely large proportions. It has 1000 hit points and is always extremely angry. On top of that it's very powerful. It can kill you by just stepping on you once. Believe me, if you are looking at an epic, you know you are looking at one!
Every creature stage has at least one epic in it. If you leave it alone it will still be there in tribal, civ and even space phase.

How do I meet an epic?
Epics are kinda hard to miss. Sometimes you hear a massive roaring in the background. Go towards that sound. In other cases you will see a bunch of large skeletons quite close to one another (the ones you can eat for extra body parts). This usually means there is an epic nearby.

Okay, what do I do if I meet an epic?
Unless you are suicidal or on a quest to kill an epic: run, do not walk!

But I want to make friends with this epic!
You can never be friends with an epic. It's too angry as a rule and will never even get to the point where it stops hating you and wanting you dead.

Okay, I want to kill an epic, how do I do that?
First of all, evolve towards a creature that stands a chance against an epic!
Make sure you got as high attack levels as possible. Especially spit is important.
Make sure you got fast feet and preferrably wings. Also try and place parts on your creature that give extra health.

Got that! A star is born. Now what?
Make sure there are rogues in your pack, or else your own nestmates.
Now go and find the epic. Once you found it and are close to it, but still far enough to be able to run if necessary, save.

Game saved! But how do I hurt it without... well... dying?
Hurting it is not our main focus at this point. Our main focus is trying to get it to follow you.
So attack the epic by spitting at it, once only. It will immediately focus all its anger on you and come to get you. Run/fly away in the direction of your home nest and make sure it follows you.
Your other pack members might get killed during this part. However sad, it's not a disaster and certainly doesn't ruin your chances to kill the epic.
Pause the game often and look around where the epic is. Make sure it doesn't get distracted and runs off on you, because if it does it will be very hard to keep up with it, or worse, find it back once it's out of view.
Make sure the epic stays focused on you by spitting at it occasionally and keep leading it towards your home nest. Remember: pausing your game and take your time to look around is always possible. Save often. Should the epic run off on you, or kill you while you're still pretty far from your home nest, exit without saving and try again from your last save.

OK, getting closer to my home nest. That epic looks quite mean. Please tell me you have a plan!!!
Don't worry, you are almost at the point where you can start killing the epic fairly easy.
OK you're very close to your home nest now, maybe even already there. Don't worry too much about dying anymore now. If you die now, you just get reborn in your nest. The epic will still be there, leaving you alone until you are grown.
Make sure to lead the epic into your nest or right next to it. Your nest mates will attack it. You, however, will go to a somewhat safe distance and spit at the epic.
Your epic will be so busy with your nest mates' attacks that it won't be able to reach you. Keep spitting until the epic falls over dead.

Woohoo! I did it!
Congratulations, you just killed an epic! And unless you're a herbivore, enjoy your victory meal!

I hope you enjoyed reading this. Please tell me your experience with this tutorial and whether it was helpful!

Team Llama
410 Posts

If you die now, you just get reborn in your nest. The epic will still be there, leaving you alone until you are grown.

Was just luck in your game perhaps.....

I lured an epic and it was standing right on my nest, it killed me, I was reborn and the epic was gone.

I guess there is no real tutorial that would let you kill an epic easy, but do you have the spore patch applied? I do, perhaps that is why the epic wont stay?

I gave up on trying killing an epic, but in tribal phase I made a nice meal out of another epic ;)

SNW Webmiss
14293 Posts

If you die now, you just get reborn in your nest. The epic will still be there, leaving you alone until you are grown.

Was just luck in your game perhaps.....

I lured an epic and it was standing right on my nest, it killed me, I was reborn and the epic was gone.

I guess there is no real tutorial that would let you kill an epic easy, but do you have the spore patch applied? I do, perhaps that is why the epic wont stay?

I gave up on trying killing an epic, but in tribal phase I made a nice meal out of another epic ;)

Same for me. I tried this earlier this week because I was curious to see if that would work for me too. However, I didn't make it until the end of the 'fight' because my creature was too hungry. It would die if I wouldn't let it eat. But when I eat, I move, so I had to remove the pack first (they were all from my own creature species). I got the epic somewhere below 500 health points, but I die either way, going to get some fruit behind me. The epic killed most of my nest and then me, there was no way around this. Trying it another way, just continuing fighting also resulted in getting killed.

When I got back, the epic was gone, his health was back to 1000 points and I had lost most of my nest. So, it's no biggie or anything, but it didn't quite work like I expected. Eventually I gave up.

Little info, I don't have the patch and the epic was gone also.

I may try it some other time, this was just some 'luck' of having him close to my nest. He was chasing some of my allies who just happened to run through my nest. The epic followed which gave me a good opportunity to try it out.

Team Llama
408 Posts
What might be an issue - as you could guess I was watching over Rosie's shoulders while she was killing the epic - is that she escaped out of the egg-hatching sequence. So instead of waiting for your creature to grow up normally, she hit the Escape key and gone was the epic. Now I don't know/remember if it's the same if you just let it run the sequence without pressing any buttons, but that might just do the trick?
Webmaster The Sims Zone - Webmaster The Spore Zone - Blokjeseliminator - SNWeblogs!

SNW Webmiss
14293 Posts
ChEeTaH wrote:What might be an issue - as you could guess I was watching over Rosie's shoulders while she was killing the epic - is that she escaped out of the egg-hatching sequence. So instead of waiting for your creature to grow up normally, she hit the Escape key and gone was the epic. Now I don't know/remember if it's the same if you just let it run the sequence without pressing any buttons, but that might just do the trick?

I tried it multiple times, one (the last) time I've used Escape, because the whole cinematic part didn't matter, so I thought I'd just skip that...

Servo's Slave
100 Posts
Hmm... I have the patch too, so that can't be it. I think I just got lucky that my epic didn't lose interest and ran off while i was hatching and growing up? i don't know.

It also helped i was an omnivore. I could eat everything. I also tried to keep at a safe distance from the epic and save often. however I had to quit without saving a few times because the epic either killed me or ran off on me.

Evolving is a bad idea too because it restores the epic's health.

Eventually I did it with only dying once. It might also have helped that I had level 5 in all attacks, level 5 in speed and level 4 in flying. And that I had a lot of nest mates (at least 5) at the time. They kept the epic nicely busy and confused while i was able to spit at it from a somewhat safe distance.

Keep me posted about youre epic experiences!

Team Llama
410 Posts
I just killed another epic with my ufo, why won't that give a "epic killer - the modern way" achievement :P

hmm I do know that there is an achievement for blowing up a lot of planets, I think that can be done, though 1 big badaboom costs 4 million.. hmm and i refuse to cheat in space phase ;)

Team Llama
408 Posts
dekdes wrote:1 big badaboom costs 4 million.. hmm and i refuse to cheat in space phase ;)

Look better. 2.5 Million should be possible (hint: check your own colony's price for any tool you want. You should be able to get 50% off somewhere else. I suppose the badaboom is mostly available for a low price at warrior-like empires...
Webmaster The Sims Zone - Webmaster The Spore Zone - Blokjeseliminator - SNWeblogs!

Team Llama
410 Posts
dekdes wrote:1 big badaboom costs 4 million.. hmm and i refuse to cheat in space phase ;)

Look better. 2.5 Million should be possible (hint: check your own colony's price for any tool you want. You should be able to get 50% off somewhere else. I suppose the badaboom is mostly available for a low price at warrior-like empires...

*looks up from his "demanded by your planets government grocery list" and now clearly sees the inhabit of the hippie planet, and responds*

Whhoops wrong number ;)

nice tip, thanks ;)

• Stats