How will you create the universe?

Game crashes again and again

Nooboo
1 Posts
I'm in the spacepart, i'm putting defence in my colony's on my home planet, and when i want to zoom out to the stars the program exits and I get the following error message:

Error message.jpg

It does'nt matter weather I press yes or no, in both cases i just go back to my desktop.
I'm playing in a Macbook Pro
Does anybody have an idea on how to fix this of how I could figure this out?
The update that was released today did'nt fix it.

Team Llama
408 Posts
It's a "regular" crash in the sense that Spore just quits ungracefully. The question you get is whether you want to try and hunt down the bug by looking in the assembly code (not something you can really do well, unless you're experienced or have the source code...). Just click No.

As for a fix: no idea. You could try to fiddle with the graphics settings a bit, perhaps it helps. You might also want to try and contact Maxis about the issue, give as much information as you possibly can. If you can give them an exact procedure of when it does occur, and when not, you might have more luck that they can pinpoint the problem and fix it in an upcoming patch...
Webmaster The Sims Zone - Webmaster The Spore Zone - Blokjeseliminator - SNWeblogs!

Terrible Townie
44 Posts
The mac patch was released today: that fixes a lot of bugs.

you get the patch by simply starting your game.

Team Llama
410 Posts

patch really screws up more then before..

I had the same exception error, spore would not start.
I have uninstalled the game but choose to keep the user generated data.
I reinstalled the game and guess what? no errors no more, but also NO spore no more.. darn game will not run at all.

this is a copy of the exception error:

[Build info]
Spore

[System info]
Computer name: PRIVATE
User name: PRIVATE

EA_PLATFORM: Windows on X86
OS name: Windows XP
OS version number: 5.1.2600
OS service pack: Service Pack 3
Debugger present: no
CPU count: 2
Processor type: x86
Processor level: 6
Processor revision: 3846
Memory load: 26%
Total physical memory: 2045 Mb
Available physical memory: 1502 Mb
Total page file memory: 3938 Mb
Available page file memory: 3521 Mb
Total virtual memory: 2047 Mb
Free virtual memory: 1786 Mb

[Application info]
Language: C++
Compiler: Microsoft Visual C++ compiler, version 1310
App path: C:Program FilesElectronic ArtsSPORESporebinSporeApp.exe
App version: 1.1.0.338

[Exception info]
date: 09-28-08
time: 16.14.36
type: ACCESS_VIOLATION writing address 0x07720000
address: 0x005a60ad "C:Program FilesElectronic ArtsSPORESporebinSporeApp.exe":0x0001:0x001a50ad

ok going to do this the hard way, uninstall then regcleaners, then regedit, and delete everything that has to do with spore including EADM and secorom hidden files, and then reinstall lets see if that works.

but i'm not going to download that patch again.. unfortunately because it had some good features, but more went bad then before the patch.

Its a shame I will lose my games in progress, yes i have a backup of the game0 map with the planet and my game data, but i'm afraid they are patched now, and if i place them back after reinstall the game crashes again or something...
-------------
EDIT

Ok spore is runing again but loading with missing files (items) and in 1 game it is now a maxis creature not my own.

what i did to get spore working again?

I deleted every file in : C:Documents and SettingsUSERNAMEApplication DataSPOREMVJCache

I deleted all package files in : C:Documents and SettingsUSERNAMEApplication DataSPORE

perhaps I should reduce the graphics cache to default instead of setting it to max ( 4024 MB)

well spore runs again, but my saved games are messed up badly now, the game just loaded other creatures to represent the creatures in my space game.. sniff , screen shots will follow>

EDIT screen: Starting up the space phase game which i had a lot of progress with

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

well I've fixed the game... and I still got my progress... but not with my own creatures.....
sniff, blowing up the planets starting all over... sniff..

Team Llama
408 Posts
dekdes wrote:well spore runs again, but my saved games are messed up badly now, the game just loaded other creatures to represent the creatures in my space game.. sniff , screen shots will follow>

Try removing the GraphicsCache.package file from the game data directory (AppDataSPORE). It'll be recreated. You may see some "empty" planets etc. occasionally, it'll have to regenerate it visually (planet itself shouldn't change), just visiting the planet or coming back later should fix that.

Edit I now see you already deleted all .package files. I hope you still have a backup of your pre-crash situation: try restoring the Pollination.package from that back-up -- or restore the entire backup again and just remove the graphicscache, and if the game crashes on startup replace your savegame with the automatically created backup (GamesGame0.old).

Make sure you keep backups of everything until your game runs smoothly again!
Webmaster The Sims Zone - Webmaster The Spore Zone - Blokjeseliminator - SNWeblogs!

Team Llama
410 Posts
nevermind started over deleted my old games, the creature was not mine anymore and it would not load my own creation.

I will not patch the game anymore, however without the patch it still crashed once, but i've set the ingame storage to 2048 instead of 4096 mb

Yes i have still got al my creations, but i'm starting over with a new improved creature called the Praxaetarian

It will replace the obsolete kraetorian, and is going to be shaped even more evil :) in my new game I've played longer then necessary in the creature phase, and got full strength & complexity on him.

next time when spore wont start i first going to try to delete all files in the mjvcache

and yes I have a copy of game0.old, but thats a patch version, nevermind, its fun to start all over again.
and if I have reached the same level in space phase as i was (having a lot of tools strongest tools etc) and spore crashes again? then i'm only going to cheat the heck out of the game.

creating stuff is still fun.

SNW Webmiss
14293 Posts
My game kept on crashing too yesterday - and I don't have the patch installed. I neurotically keep on saving my games because I know it will crash at least once during a game, usually more often. Gets me really pissed off, but there's not much I can do about it - I think.

Team Llama
410 Posts
I always save for example in space game when I have found an item on a planet or made progress somehow.

But you know what the worst crash is? not while playing the game itself, however I could imagine that gets you pissed off, but what do you think about it crashing........ while I spend some hours in an editor creating a cool ufo or other thing! grrr..

Because when playing online , every save that you do while creating an item, will store the item in the current state, and every other save will also, leaving your online sporepedia full off half baked crap, just when playing the game and every piece you stick on your creature, save that creature and placing that on your sporepedia, leaving you with a lot of work cleaning up your sporepedia mess.

when I've played through the creature phase I always clean up my sporepedia of half baked creatures.

But about the crashing of spore, what could prevent this from happening? we all run it on different systems, i've got this XPS gaming system that hardly crashes on a game that demands a lot from your videocard, my guess or call it a feeling is that this crashes happen because of the internet traffic in the game, but then again, why did world of warcraft never crashed...

Indeed the game crashed again yesterday, so I'll just patch it again, seems it does not matter if you do or do not patch the game, crashes still occur with spore.

1 thing I'm sure off, and that is that you best cannot use the CTRL+Z keystroke to undo an action within the editors, this mostly causes a crash with the game somehow.

Its just not funny sometimes, playing the game, in creature stage editing your creature, and then when you finish it, the egg hatch animation will happen, but i'm always afraid between those 2 things, the moemnt the screen goes black for a while and it seems the game freezes.

Just always save, the CTRL+S keystroke to save however has not caused problems... yet.

Servo's Slave
100 Posts
Whewn I make stuff in the creators that stuff doesn't vget uploaded automatically. Only when I create stuff while playing. Of course logging out is an option, but aw well...

My game hasn't crashed for some time now *knocks on wood*

SNW Webmiss
14293 Posts
Mine crashes on multiple occasions, when starting the game, when done with a war, when in the middle of a war, when saving (!), errr, when done terraforming a planet etc etc. It has crashed even when I returned to the main screen. Ridiculous.

Team Llama
408 Posts
I believe most crashes are "Segmentation faults." In a plain English analogy: the game prepared dinner, ate it all, and tried to eat it again (it tries to access parts in the memory that have already been freed/destroyed). You can call it sloppy programming, but experience learns that these errors can be tricky to catch.

But I think this may also have to do with the amount of memory (RAM) in your system, perhaps the size of the Graphics cache also counts. Or maybe stuff happens on Sporepedia (online) which the game isn't prepared for (e.g. a creation is deleted from the server, but the game still wants to check for comments or so :-S). All we can do now is take wild guesses and remember to save regularly. And wait for a patch that fixes it.

Team Llama
410 Posts
after reading that Rosie's spore also crashes without a patch, I decided to patch the game again, because for some video idea's I need the evoadvantage cheat to be able to play as a pre-created creature.

But i've seen what to delete if the game won't start, i'll just do the same thing again when my game refuses to start.

Delete all files in C:Documents and SettingsUSERNAMEApplication DataSPOREMVJCache and see if that works, if not ill delete the package files. But as said somewhere else before, I have set my ingame cache to no higher then 2024 mb, at the time it crashed I was playing with the 4096 mb setting, perhaps 4 gig is a problem writing and reading from the disk.

Team Llama
408 Posts
dekdes wrote:perhaps 4 gig is a problem writing and reading from the disk.

In fact, it can be, if it's a FAT partition (NTFS should allow files of 4Gb I believe, not entirely sute though...). But 4096 Mb could indeed cause problems because the file can't be written if it goes over 4096 Mb (even if just by one byte). Good ol' crappy Windows :P Again, not sure if it plays a role on NTFS partitions/drives, too unfamiliar with Windows regarding that these days...

Team Llama
410 Posts

In fact, it can be, if it's a FAT partition (NTFS should allow files of 4Gb I believe, not entirely sute though...). But 4096 Mb could indeed cause problems because the file can't be written if it goes over 4096 Mb (even if just by one byte). Good ol' crappy Windows :P Again, not sure if it plays a role on NTFS partitions/drives, too unfamiliar with Windows regarding that these days...

ah ok yes, my drive is FAT32, but now that i keep the setting on no bigger then the 2k setting all goes fine, i've even patched the game again, no crashes yet :)

SNW Webmiss
14293 Posts
ChEeTaH wrote:

ah ok yes, my drive is FAT32, but now that i keep the setting on no bigger then the 2k setting all goes fine, i've even patched the game again, no crashes yet :)

Doesn't always seem to be the problem though. I've got NTFS partitions. Yet my game crashes quite often. Also, I don't recall me changing the settings (so I doubt that's the problem on my PC).

• Stats