How will you create the universe?

Flora editor accessible(?)

Team Llama
408 Posts
I found this topic on the official forums. It tells how to get the flora and cell editors up. I can't test this right now, but perhaps someone else can and see what works and what does not? I assume the flora editor is still buggy, but it could be nice to try out, play around with and perhaps even share creations here?

Here's how to do it: Copy your shortcut to the game (from the desktop/start menu), right click it, and choose properties. Add the following switch to the end of the target field (which has SporeApp.exe in it - make sure you put this after the double quotes, i.e. completely at the end. Make sure there's a space before this switch, too)

Code: Select all
-state:floraeditor

For the flora editor, or for the (hidden) cell editor:

Code: Select all
-state:celleditor

Try it out, let us know how well it works! :)
Webmaster The Sims Zone - Webmaster The Spore Zone - Blokjeseliminator - SNWeblogs!

Team Llama
410 Posts
OMG OMG OMG!!!! thanks for this wow!!! making plants as we speak!

EDIT: lol to overenthusiastic ok I get a very buggy editor, does not work at all... but neverthe less ITS in there! I think its in so maxis can later give a patch to make it work totally???

EDIT: cell editor > works better but you cannot share them online and they will not be shared automatically but nevertheless they WILL get saved :P

USE AT OWN RISK! save image, place them in the cell map!

Nooboo
12 Posts
Flora is horribly buggy. That's an artifact of what they shipped though. It looks like the reason it isn't included is because it was somewhat buggy but moreover because it isn't very user friendly at the moment.

Cell editor is wierd..... It works fine. Edited, used some of the TONS of new parts, saved, showed up in sporepedia and all... shrug.

I think the cell editor and new parts were supposed to be based on the fact that originally maxis had it so that as you played cell stage, the cells got more evolved over time. However the problem with this is that people might not want their cells to look different, and maybe they changed styles as well.

Either way, it still works.

SNW Webmiss
14293 Posts
dekdes wrote:EDIT: lol to overenthusiastic ok I get a very buggy editor, does not work at all... but nevertheless ITS in there! I think its in so maxis can later give a patch to make it work totally???

I think they might just release it indeed with either a patch or an expansion pack.
I like the idea of it being there, but I tried it (the flora editor that is, I wanted to create my own trees etc). However it's very poor atm. Too bad. :(

Karybdis wrote:I think the cell editor and new parts were supposed to be based on the fact that originally maxis had it so that as you played cell stage, the cells got more evolved over time. However the problem with this is that people might not want their cells to look different, and maybe they changed styles as well.

Either way, it still works.

Welcome btw! :)
I haven't tried the cell editor myself yet, but I've seen it in action on ChEeTaH's screen. It looks as if some of the items are just slightly different, nothing completely new afaik? Still nice we can use this. But I don't quite get why it isn't possible to just use the cell editor in the game without being in the cell phase.

Team Llama
408 Posts
Rosana wrote:But I don't quite get why it isn't possible to just use the cell editor in the game without being in the cell phase.

My guess: I checked out the free Cell stage chapter from the Prima guide (before we got the actual guide), it mentioned some specific Maxis creatures you would come across in the cell stage. To keep things challenging, there have to be some more powerful creatures than you, since normally you can't vary all too much in stats (too few DNA points etc), and if cells would pollinate you would normally end up with all pretty much all equally powerful cells as yours, removing any challenge from the cell stage.

Also: you start the cell stage with a basic cell, the creature stage with a basic creature - for which there is a creator. So no matter what cell you make in the editor, you can't play with that cell since using it in cell stage would give you an unfair advantage of having an evolved cell to start with (you can't start creature stage with an evolved creature either, unless you have the patch and cheat your way in).

All pure guessing though!

On another note: I did see some new parts - at least new variants of the basic parts that are normally accessible, but especially the eyes seemed to be the same on each of the 4 pages of parts that are available in the custom cell editor, with one or two extra eyes on the last page (5).

I wonder if the cells you make in the cell editor end up in any newly started (cell) game, as enemies?
Webmaster The Sims Zone - Webmaster The Spore Zone - Blokjeseliminator - SNWeblogs!

Nooboo
12 Posts
My understanding is no. Your stuff won't show up.

HOWEVER, and this is the odd bit, I do see some of the extra cell editor parts in the game even though you the user can't use them

Namely the more advanced electric tail. I'm not sure how this relates to the editor.

It's possible that the parts not showing up in game as you evolve is a bug. Normally they were supposed to appear each time you hit a milestone (like when your brain grows in creature), and just automatically replace your existing parts.

It's also possible that it was too hard for maxis to get this to work on their own stuff, since they would have to add another layer of complexity to the creatures they were trying to populate cell stage with.

• Stats