How will you create the universe?

Hints & tips for space stage: Post here!

Servo's Slave
100 Posts
- Put colonies close to wormholes, this way you can find the wormhole back easier.

-Write things down. Like which wormhole leads where, what empire has the cheapest colony-incredipacks etc.

-Sell spices whenever somebody offers you a good prizce. The price might be way lower the next time you visit this particular planet.

Team Llama
408 Posts

- When you encounter a new empire which is unfriendly (orange sad smiley face), fly to one of their systems and zoom in as quickly as possible. When hovering over a planet, the short range communication becomes available and you can say you come in peace. This will improve the relationship.

- Buy tools from your own colonies only when you can't find them on planets of allies or friends. They're expensive.

- Try to find the rare spice colors, they generally give you much more income than the common ones (red, yellow).

- Perform missions or give gifts to improve the relationship with an empire

- At war with an empire and sick of their continuous attacks? Return the favor, attack one of their planets, best with some allies and decent weapons. Not only will you unlock new weapons due to badges you unlock, the enemy may also surrender and ask for peace.

- Trying to purchase a star system? If you've set up a trade route and the system can be bought, make sure you offer enough. Otherwise, you lose the trading progress that has been made, and it has to start over again (the trade route won't be lost). There is a tool that allows you to immediately purchase a system once a trading route has been set up.

- Offering money to an enemy for peace? Give them enough! Gifts won't do the trick when at war, but they might take some more money to put down the weapons. If you don't offer enough though, you'll lose the money, without improving the relationship.

- No time to fix an eco disaster right away? No hurry. Once you run out of time, the targeted species will be extinct on that planet, and the disaster will repeat for the next in line (it starts with T3 carnivore, them omnivores, etc). So if there are more pressing things to take care of, just remember to replace the species after a short while and at least fix that ecodisaster in the not too distant future.

- UFOs don't have stats, it doesn't matter at all what you put on them or not. (Blinky) lights may help you spotting the UFO though.

- First stock your UFO with the plants and creatures you need before terraforming it to a higher T-level. That way you can be sure you'll have them well in time before the T-score decreases again.

- If possible, grab a few creatures of each species when terraforming a planet. That way, if you accidentally kill one you still have another left to use. You can always just destroy the cargo you don't need.

- Check what creatures are already living on a planet when finding new ones. You can't improve/stabilize the terrascore if you put the same species on a planet again, they can only occupy one slot.

- Having trouble finding a specific creature or plant from the food web (the 18-dot grid that can be shown instead of the minimap)? Click on it to highlight it, and the radar will guide you towards the thing you're looking for.

- Got a mission from a planet to prevent an ecodisaster but the radar is pointing nowhere? You're probably looking for citizens in the cities, not the regular creatures.
Webmaster The Sims Zone - Webmaster The Spore Zone - Blokjeseliminator - SNWeblogs!

Servo's Slave
100 Posts
- On a mission and can't find the solar system you have to perform the mission in? Pause the game and go looking for it in a relaxed way while there is no time ticking away. Saved my ass quite a few times so far!

SNW Webmiss
14293 Posts
- When on your way to the center of the galaxy or searching for the Grox, you may use wormholes. Make sure you write down the names (number/letter combinations) of the wormholes. I literally spent about an hour (at least) today trying to find my home planet back. Eventually I succeeded in finding it back, but it took me about 50 tries or so. So WRITE IT DOWN somewhere, okay? :p
I know it has been mentioned before. But I just want to make sure you understand what I'm saying. I thought I would be able to remember the names/numbers. However I ended up at a few other wormholes before reaching The Grox, and forgot to write things down. Getting lost is much easier than finding your way back, believe me.

Servo's Slave
100 Posts
Oh yes, you won't get anywhere if you don't start writing stuff down at some point. Especially if you, like me, don't have a good sense of direction.

I also found that when you went through your first wormhole you probably land on a place where there aren't many alien empires yet, This is a good place to put a lot of colonies, upgrade them to T1 and make it a profitable planet. You'll get insanely rich before you know it.

I also heard (haven't tried yet) a good tip on finding a planet you've already been to. iIf you've been to a planet, it shows up in your Sporepedia in-game. Apparently you can click it or something to track that planet, so an arrow or something similar appears over it.
Haven't tried it yet, but sounds very good for those go-there-get-that missions.

SNW Webmiss
14293 Posts
Resie wrote:Oh yes, you won't get anywhere if you don't start writing stuff down at some point. Especially if you, like me, don't have a good sense of direction.

Same here. I started writing stuff down when I got more than 5 empires around me I used to trade stuff with. Especially in the beginning, when you're all new to the game, it can be quite overwhelming and you may not be able to remember where you got that cheap colony incredi-pak.

The amount of sporebucks you can get for your Spices however varies each time you play, on each planet, with each empire. So there's really no use writing those numbers down because the next time you visit them, the prices are likely to be different.

Resie wrote:I also found that when you went through your first wormhole you probably land on a place where there aren't many alien empires yet, This is a good place to put a lot of colonies, upgrade them to T1 and make it a profitable planet. You'll get insanely rich before you know it.

I can hardly keep it up as it is, especially since I helped out an ally and got into war with another empire. They kept attacking me. If they weren't attacking me, pirates were attacking the planets or eco-disasters were happening all around the place... So I haven't really been able to build many new colonies near another wormhole yet. But it definitely sounds interesting.

Resie wrote:I also heard (haven't tried yet) a good tip on finding a planet you've already been to. iIf you've been to a planet, it shows up in your Sporepedia in-game. Apparently you can click it or something to track that planet, so an arrow or something similar appears over it.
Haven't tried it yet, but sounds very good for those go-there-get-that missions.

I haven't tried that planet tracking yet myself either. Sounds like a great plan. Should try that out today.

Servo's Slave
100 Posts
OK the planet tracking thing works. Only on planets you've already been to though.

As for pirate attacks: I'll help my colonies out if I'm near, but if not i just let them happen. You only lose a bit of spice. But if it says alien attack it's better to respond whenever you are somewhat near: they destroy all your buildings if you don't respond. Not a big disaster either: You can just replace them.

I also found myself getting annoyed at my allies who tend to screw up their eco-system. It's always the same empires who do that and depend on my help. I make them wait though... I now have enough animal/plant cargo to upgrade 50 planets to T3, so I'll just help them when i feel like it, then repair their eco-system by adding some of my cargo.In other words:

*Don't jump up and salute as soon as somebody cries for help. And so far my Skypli empire has been doing extremely well!

*Become friends with those spode-worshippers or wipe them out. There is no in-between, because they ask more and more insane amounts of money for non-believers tax. (Those Spode-people freak me out, really!). Bribing them also works. It gets them from mildly angry to neutral, or from neutral to loving you. Bribing them more than once at a time doesn't work though.

* Put a colony close to the Grox, but make sure there's one "buffer-galaxy" in between. They won't attack you (so i've heard, have yet to test this). If you die, you go back to the last of your colonies you visited and they build a new ship for you. So having it close to the Grox makes sure you don't have to do all the travelling again!

SNW Webmiss
14293 Posts
Resie wrote:* Put a colony close to the Grox, but make sure there's one "buffer-galaxy" in between. They won't attack you (so i've heard, have yet to test this). If you die, you go back to the last of your colonies you visited and they build a new ship for you. So having it close to the Grox makes sure you don't have to do all the travelling again!

What exactly do you mean with that buffer-galaxy?

Servo's Slave
100 Posts
A galaxy in between the grox and your colony. If you are really close to the center you won't be able to do it, but a little further away it must be possible.

Team Llama
410 Posts

Getting tired of the endless ecodisaster calls and priate calls, or grox attack for that matter?

simple: have enough money to place these on each of your colonies (especially the ones that make you more profit, like purple spice)

Bio stabilizer, bio protector, uber turret . will cost you around a million per colony, but hey, you can go relax and fly around the galaxy ignoring eco distaster or pirate attack calls.

yes , but the relationship will go down if i do nothing:

Well you really do not have to worry about the attacks, an uber turret will have killed of all invading ships before you land your sorry arse on the planet that is being attacked, the only bad thing is.. you can only have 1 uber turret on a planet (do not forget to buy normal city turrets for all cities!)

how I play is that 1 will respond once to an eco disaster, if its one of my own colonies, ill drop the bio protecting tools on it.

If its an allied species, well.. ill ignore the heck out of them, they will eventually be friends again by simply using the terraforming tools to upgrade a lower then t3 colony of theirs. But if they really starting to annoy me.. well lets say the grox are the only ones who sometimes can hurt me :)

I'll just fly to a planet who is buggin me and send them a photgraph of the planet buster weapon attached to my UFO ;)*

about writing down the wormholes:

If you scroll over a wormhole you can see where it leads, there is a trail showing, so i don't get why you should write that down, but indeed I place a colony on a starsystem next to a wormhole.

*: I would never use the planet buster however, its really bad for all relationships :)

Team Llama
408 Posts
A brief "Home planet guide," it may be obvious and trivial for some, but who knows it may help somebody. Let some money flow:

First of all, when it comes to spice, your home planet is pretty worthless. You may want to defend it for the free repairs and recharges (I'm not sure what happens if you lose it).

Other home planets, however, can bring you some big business! You'll easily spot other empire's home planets as they are marked by a solid circle, so you don't see the star itself anymore in the galaxy view.

As you may know, terraforming to T3 still doesn't give you more than three colonies on that planet. With the spice storage, that still leaves you with a max of 30 spice stored on the planet. Home planets can have more colonies though, because after civ stage all cities are transformed to colonies. You'll find about 10 colonies or so on every other empire's home planet. And, while your own home planet will always produce red spice, other empires can have other spice colors on their home planets. Hint: hunt for some purple (or pink) spice :)

So it's very useful to capture these home planets. It'll be tough, but doable. Playing the "trading" way, i.e. purchasing systems? Simply set up a trade route, and if you have the tool (traders passion should give you it) use the cash infusion so you can immediately purchase the system. You'll probably need to offer 10 million Sporebucks, but it gives you a very nice planet.

If you're at war with the empire, just attack the planet (use a shield and just attack the cities, leave the planet once the shield runs out and wait for it to recharge again). Attack with care though! While destroying a city can give you about 50k Sporebucks, it is important to keep it up. You can use mega bombs for the quick attack, but don't throw too many at once. Once the white flag of the colony is up (i.e. it surrendered), move on to the next. You can leave the planet and come back, the colony should still be yours (marked with a black V on the mini map). Take over all colonies on the planet this way, then capture the system (button at the top of the screen -- remember that if other planets in the system are occupied, you'll also need to capture those).

As said: use care. I've destroyed too many colonies because I was just throwing bombs, and once it surrendered bombs were still in the air destroying the colony, which meant I lost that colony in the end.

Once you got hold of the system secure the place with an Uberturret. Also get some spice storage, and remember to optimize the layout of the colonies (some buildings will be destroyed, replace those, and remember to replace the turrets too). This should make the planet produce spice like no other (due to the huge amount of cities, you should be able to keep citizens happy and still get about 120-144 spice/hour per colony). The extra storage - spice storage doubles the amount - gives you the extra storage boost so you don't have to head to the planet every 5 minutes to pick up the spice.

Fixed up the planet and got it to produce spice like a madman? Start trading! In need of money? Pick up some spice at the home planet, and trade it. Besides having a very valuable planet - it takes an investment but it'll be worth it after a short while - you'll also have weakened the other empire quite a bit. Usually other empires have mostly T0 or T1 planets which are extremely easy to capture (they either don't cost too many Sporebucks, 1M should often do, or the colony is destroyed in no-time).

Also keep in mind that home planets are often in the center of the empire, so if you're at war it may suffer quite a few attacks! Once one of the colonies is destroyed, there's no way it can come back, except when less than three are left...

Note that once you captured the home planet of another system, it'll (probably) get another home planet. This won't be as valuable though, as it just transfers to another planet of the empire which won't have as many colonies.
Webmaster The Sims Zone - Webmaster The Spore Zone - Blokjeseliminator - SNWeblogs!

Team Llama
410 Posts
thanks for the tips cheetah, one thing though
I'm not sure what happens if you lose it

If other people cannot blow up your planet, AI sure can't. heck, you cannot even do anything with your own race of another game on your other race & games homeplanet.

if your last city on your homeplanet gets blown up? well a new one just respawns, only less cities means less income per spice, but heck as you said is true, the spice is worthless and the prices for stuff are way to high on your honmeplanet, so the BLEEB with them, that's why i ingore attacks on my home planet even if its grox's, your homeworld is invulnerable.

(and a big boy of a grox who survives my uber turrets :) )

Team Llama
408 Posts
Small additional tip I just heard from Rosana: find a system of a tribe or civilization (not an empire) occupied planet of pink or purple spice (the latter is the best). Uplift it with a monolith (you need just one monolith to take it from tribe to empire). Then take it over (you'll get a relationship bonus, so the trade way should easily work). Sure, you'll eliminate an empire, but who cares if it gives you some valuable Sporebucks? :)

Also from Rosana: if you go the military way, lasers (mini or so) may save you some damage. Yet I still think the megabomb is quicker, you'll usually only need one or two, but it can be tricky and can destroy a colony you need...

SNW Webmiss
14293 Posts
ChEeTaH wrote:Small additional tip I just heard from Rosana: find a system of a tribe or civilization (not an empire) occupied planet of pink or purple spice (the latter is the best). Uplift it with a monolith (you need just one monolith to take it from tribe to empire). Then take it over

Since you uplifted the species there, it will be their homeplanet. Homeplanets pretty much always have an amount of 50 Spice. So place a spice storage on the planet. This will double the amount of spice from 50 to 100. Rich within no time. :)

• Stats